Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus refrigeration time
• 10ml gelatine
• 350g strawberries, hulled and chopped, plus extra to serve
• 1 tin evaporated milk, chilled overnight
• 5ml vanilla essence
• 100-150ml castor sugar, depending on the sweetness of the strawberries
- Sprinkle the gelatine over 15ml water and leave to stand until spongy. Melt in the microwave then leave to cool slightly.
- Blend the strawberries in a food processor and press through a sieve to remove most of the seeds. Spoon some of the strawberries into the gelatine, then stir the gelatine mixture into the remaining strawberries.
- Pour the evaporated milk and vanilla essence into a large bowl and whisk with an electric beater until foamy. Add the sugar a little at a time, while beating. If the strawberries are not very sweet, you can add a little more sugar. Once the milk mixture is light and fluffy, whisk in the strawberry and gelatine mixture. Spoon the mousse into individual cups, if you prefer. Set in the fridge for approximately 1 hour and serve with extra strawberries.