Thursday 3 May 2012

House & Leisure does it again: Artist's pied-a-terre in Jozi

Don't you love this? I can't decide which I prefer: the striking red wall or breathtaking Jozi skyline. I'll always love Jo'burg's edgy energy and stark contrasts, and our team agree that artist Sam Nhlengethwa has really captured the spark in his funky Newtown apartment. Read the full article on House & Leisure online.


Sam Nhlengethwa On Art

I collect what I like – small or big names – it doesn’t matter. 
Music
 plays a big role in my life. I always listen to music when I paint. 
When I was growing up
 art didn’t feature prominently in my family. I was the first to feel its influence. 
I can’t live without
 colour. All the walls were white when I bought the flat. I painted one wall red to give the space some character and to break up the white. Gerard Sekoto had an amazing sense of colour. 
There’s no way I’m parting with
 my vinyl records. I have over 4 000 records (and nearly 3 000 CDs). 
I began collecting art
 when I was at school. My friends and I would exchange works with other school kids. Even as a young artist, I’d exchange works with other artists. 
When we were young
 we never studied African artists. I admired Matisse, and Henry Moore when it came to sculpture. For me, the American Romare Bearden was the master of collage. 
Every year
 in about October or November, I start moving things around and rearranging our art collection, so the walls constantly change.
This article was originally featured in the April 2011 issue of House and Leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment